I decided to tackle the vest first to give me more time to research certain things for the skirt.
I am using this pattern from Butterick, obviously :) but will be altering it to make it look more like the above vest. I'll be using mainly veiws A and B which are the red and tweed ones pictured.
I'll be making a mock up first before cutting into my velvet of course. The velvet and lining was purchased online at Fashion Fabrics Club. The velvet is a dark gray/blue and is quite lovely. Though it's always so hard to capture velvet on camera is it not? I chose purple lining cause it was 1. way cheaper than black and 2. so much more fun!
And then there are the buttons. It's a bit difficult to really see exactly what buttons they used on the vest so I kind of just went with a general look. And if they ever come out with better pics and I can track down the correct ones someday, it's a simple and cheap fix. In any case, these are the ones I found at Joann's.
So, now that I have all my supplies I'm planning on cutting out and studying the pattern tonight to work out how and where I need to change things to suit and hopefully even get my muslin cut out. We'll see how much I can get done with Gabriel's "help". He took a nap this afternoon and I selfishly allowed it to last as long as he wished which in turn means he'll be up later than usual with me.
1790 Redingote Inspiration and Percolation - Redingote, c. 1790, LACMA M2009.120Friends, I haven't wanted to sew for awhile. Burn-out is a real thing, especially failing miserably on the last two 18t...
11 hours ago